Saturday 9 January 2016

Try Stampin' on Tuesday 252

Today is SO hot that I've retreated to the living room with the air-con on and will only be tempted outside by the prospect of a dip in the pool. Consequently, I've been doing a lot of indoor tidying up and fixing up loose ends of things that don't require a trip outside - as well as getting ahead on my GoodReads challenge for 2016. I feel my husband will return from the golf course looking rather more tanned and rather more sweaty than when he left home this morning!

So I've decided to enter this card into this week's challenge at Try Stampin' on Tuesday after all.
Although I liked the look of the sketch, I struggled with it after many of the ideas I had involved things that just looked too crowded arranged into a line of five. I thought about using fewer things or a less than straight line but decided that, in the end, the two critical elements of the sketch were to use five of something and a horizontal(ish) arrangement.


I've recently introduced a friend into card-making and she fell in love with the Brights collection, which I've seldom ever used. In looking at things with her, I've come to a new appreciation of Bermuda Bay and have used it for this card. I've watercoloured the flowers with diluted shades of Bermuda Bay and then fussy cut them rather than punching them. The centres I coloured by stippling with black marker and white gel pen then added a touch of glossy accents to them. I think I've achieved the bright and casual, friendly look I was going for.




Update: Delighted to receive an Honourable Mention at Try Stampin on Tuesday.

Ingredients
Card: Bermuda Bay, Basic Black, Whisper White, watercolour paper, Everyday Chic DSP
Stamps: Petite Petals, Gorgeous Grunge, A Dozen Thoughts
Inks: Bermuda Bay, Black Stazon, Tuxedo Black.
Other: Petite Petals punch, Bitty Banner punch, Black baker's twine, dimensionals, Glossy Accent, Black marker, white gel pen







4 comments:

  1. I think your cards are very creative and inspirational. I also enjoy reading your blog because you live in New Zealand. Several years ago, my husband and I spent 3 months working as missionaries in Nelson. We fell in love with New Zealand. Hopefully, one day, we're return.
    I love hearing about your day. When I worked, I often found myself in school libraries. Once even a large media library serving an entire county! What fun. Teachers are the best! Hope this reaches you because I don't think I fit anywhere in the profile. I'll try anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, this is simply lovely.
    I love the pretty color & design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you're sweltering in the heat by you, but we're getting ready for an arctic blast where I live! lol I'm one of the few (I think) that actually enjoys the snow when it's around. Nothing like a good snow storm. Anyway your card is beautiful! I love the black under the blue flowers...really helps them pop! Thanks for sharing your card with us at Try Stampin' on Tuesday.
    Sara H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute card! Love the papers and colors you used! I wish I had some of your heat this morning as the temperature out right now is at 0! Thanks so much for joining us at Try Stampin' On Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete